I am a bit late to the party, a little over three months to be precise, but I have finally caught up with GVM’s filmography – which is to say I watched Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada (AYM).
AYM is a rehash GVM’s pet topics, and presents itself as a mishmash of two genres – the cute romance and the action thriller, the love child of Vinnathaandi Varuvaayaa and Kaakha Kaakha if you will. It checks off everything:
- Young man who has the best relationship with his family – in fact, said young man’s parents aren’t even insistent he works after his MBA. He hangs around with his friends, playing carrom and mouthing off philosophy that sounds silly.
- Good looking young woman whom the aforementioned young man sees in a saree and promptly falls in love. Young woman is always classy, impulsive, and speaks in low tones. She wants to become a scriptwriter but we never find out what becomes of this dream.
- That thing he does with the songs, where people start singing in the middle of montage sequences.
- An evil policeman and other assorted evil dudes who effect the transformation from boy to man, making sure we get some more philosophy in the process – about the surprises life throws at us, and how we have to be ready for anything anytime, so on, so forth.
It includes some other strange things too:
- An accident involving a monster truck, a couple on a motorcycle, and a love song – the reasoning is that, as this young man lay on the road fighting for his life, he realizes his love for the young woman. Hence we jump to shots of them deliriously jumping even as they are thrown about from the impact.
- A running joke about the leading man’s name, which is really not funny at all. By the time we reach the climax, he could be named Chitti 2.0 for all we care.
- The monologue to beat all monologues from all the earlier movies combined – a tedious twenty minute explainer video on what happened after the interval.
- Young unmarried heterosexual couple finding accommodation anywhere in Tamil Nadu with ease – if you discover how this can be done, please write in. This is very important.
Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada is that GVM movie which makes you think you are watching a GVM spoof.